Tibenham in Norfolk can trace its history back to WWI when it was an RFC landing ground. However it was most active with the USAAF in WWII as home to the 445th Bombardment Group who were involved in the disastrous Kassel raid of September 1944 when only 4 of 35 Tibenham based Liberators returned to base. The field is still active and has been home to Norfolk gliding club for many years. The actor James Stewart flew a handful of missions from Tibenham in 1944. Pictures from December 2017.


Opening in 1942 this Essex airfield was under USAAF control by May the following year and was one of the first bases in England to operate the Flying Fortress. Later it was home to Marauders. In September 1944 the base returned to the RAF as a glider towing unit operating Halifaxes and Albermarles. It closed in 1955 although there is now a small flying strip alongside one of the original runways but most of the airfield is buried under a golf course and a business park.


In Reach Of The Skies © 2012 • Privacy Policy • Terms Of Use